Wednesday, September 21, 2011

CyHi The Prynce Jacks Rap Classics For Jack Of All Trades

'It's just me showing my versatility,' G.O.O.D. Music soldier tells Mixtape Daily of jumping on timeless beats from Youngbloodz to Outkast.
By Rob Markman, with reporting by James Smith


Cyhi The Prynce
Photo: MTV News

Main Pick

Artist: CyHi the Prynce

Representing: Atlanta

Mixtape: Jack of All Trades

Real Spit: CyHi the Prynce figured he would end the summer the same way he started: with a free mixtape. In June, the G.O.O.D. Music soldier released Royal Flush 2 to much fanfare and as August rolled to a close, the MC once again got to work with his Jack of All Trades tape.

The Atlanta rapper teamed with both DJ Scream and DJ Spinz to gather a bunch of familiar instrumentals that would showcase his rhyme skills. As far as the title of the tape, it's all pretty simple if you let the Prynce tell it.

"It's just me showing my versatility and that I'm a jack of all trades," CyHi told Mixtape Daily. "Slow beats, fast beats, mid-tempos, whatever; rugged, pop, I can rap on it all. Gospel, country — whatever you want to give me, I can do. So I think Jack of All Trades shows that I'm a jack of all trades."

On "Farmer," CyHi goes to the Midwest for inspiration, using Bone Thugs-n-Harmony's 1994 beat for "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" to rap about his affinity for marijuana. "Blacksmith" continues the trend. Over the slow bounce of Tru's "I'm Bout It, Bout It," Kanye's protégé pounds his chest, bragging on his lyrical prowess as well as the women that he attracts. It's all standard rap fare, but CyHi's interwoven rhyme couplets set him apart from his contemporaries.

In perhaps his most humorous flip, Cy re-imagines Naughty by Nature's 1993 classic "Hip Hop Hooray," turning it into a pimp's anthem by interpolating the song's original hook ("hip hop hooray, ho") to spit "You trick off and pay, ho's."

A new take on old classics, Jack of All Trades tackles rap hits, regardless of region or era. Even DJ Khaled's "I'm On One" gets a nod in the mix of classic beats made popular by the likes of T.I. ("Be Easy"), the Youngbloodz ("85") and Jay-Z ("Feelin' It"). "Jack of All Trades, I jacked some of your favorite beats," CyHi brags.

Joints to Check For » "Artist": "That's over the 'Elevators' beat from Outkast. I did that just to show some versatility and bring back the legends of Atlanta. Shout-out to the whole Dungeon Family: Goodie Mob, Outkast, the whole fam. Shouts out to you guys, you inspire me a lot."

» "Preacher" " 'Preacher' I did that over the Sunshine Anderson ['Heard It All Before'] beat. It was kinda like left field; people didn't know I was gonna do it like that. It really displays my feeling between rap and hip-hop, and it's a big difference between the two. So if you listen to the song, I kinda explain that."

For other artists featured in Mixtape Daily, check out Mixtape Daily Headlines.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1671068/cyhi-the-prynce-jack-of-all-trades.jhtml

Sarah Polley Sarah Shahi Sarah Silverman

No comments:

Post a Comment