Thursday, May 26, 2011

Scotty McCreery Promised 'Big Show' Before 'American Idol' Finale

'Idol' champ teased his first single, 'I Love You This Big,' to MTV News, while Haley Reinhart revealed her song wish-list on red carpet.
By Kara Warner, with reporting by Jim Cantiello


Scotty McCreery
Photo: MTV News

The 10th season of "American Idol" has come to a close. Where has the time gone? MTV News has been all over season 10 of the reality-TV ratings juggernaut from the get-go, so it was fitting that we head to downtown Los Angeles, specifically the Nokia Theatre red carpet, for Wednesday night's (May 25) big finale.

Our trusted "Idol" expert Jim Cantiello spoke with a bevy of "AI" stars past and present — stick with MTV.com as we roll out our coverage over the next couple of days — everyone from former contestants Adam Lambert, Kris Allen and David Cook to celeb guests Judas Priest, Jack Black and the very surprising appearance of "Real World: Hawaii" alum Teck Holmes. First and foremost, however, are the sonorous words from Scotty McCreery and third-place finisher Haley Reinhart.

When asked about McCreery's proposed single and final "Idol" performance, "I Love You This Big," the sweet-voiced country crooner said the song is a perfect fit for him.

" 'I Love You This Big' is great," McCreery told us. "It was a great song to start off with and I was so excited when they played that for me in a demo. I thought this could really be a good one," he added, before promising fans a "great show" on Wednesday night.

Moving on to Reinhart, who didn't have a proposed single to discuss (yet), so instead we asked her for the inside scoop on what songs she wanted to sing on the show, but didn't get to. "I wanted to do 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley," Reinhart revealed. "I thought a girl doing it would be awesome. I had a jam band going on for the past four summers, and we did that song and I had loads of fun with that, and it's pretty soulful so I like it," she explained.

" 'What Is and Should Never Be," I plugged from the start and they told me I was probably not going to get it," Reinhart said of the song she performed during her final week as a contestant on the show. "They've got to pull a ton of strings for that, man. I got the approval from [Led Zeppelin's] Robert Plant and Jimmy Page themselves, and that to me is just the coolest. And having my dad up there with me, even cooler."

Reinhart went on to say that there were lists and lists of songs she wanted to do, but never had the opportunity or, in some cases, the approval from the show's producers.

"I wish I could just pull them out of my brain, which ones I was thinking about, because I had literally lists of songs I wanted to do," she said. "I did want to do 'Que Sera,' a version from Corinne Bailey Rae; it's a stripped-down, total blues, it's totally different," she revealed. 'I was plugging for it for weeks and everybody is like, 'It's going to go like this Haley [gestures with her hand whooshing over her head], over their heads,' so I figured hopefully someday. Maybe it's not right for 'Idol,' but it would have been a cool jam."

What do you think about Scotty and Haley's song choices? Who will have the first hit single? Tell us in the comments!

Don't miss a special edition of "Idol Party Live" Thursday at noon on MTV.com for analysis, finale red-carpet coverage and the last "Idol in 60 Seconds" of season 10. Get in the conversation by tweeting with the hashtag #idolparty! In the meantime, get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

Related Videos Related Photos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664619/scotty-mcreery-american-idol-finale.jhtml

LeAnn Rimes Leeann Tweeden Leelee Sobieski

No comments:

Post a Comment