Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Naya Rivera Wanted To 'Be Like Paris Hilton,' On 'When I Was 17'

'Glee' star recalls getting her dad to spring for an expensive Hilton-inspired dog on episode premiering Saturday at 11 a.m.
By Mawuse Ziegbe


Naya Rivera
Photo: MTV News

When "Glee" star Naya Rivera was a teen she didn't just look up to one of the most popular girls in her high school, she admired one of the most popular girls in the world: Paris Hilton.

"All I wanted to do was be like Paris Hilton," she says in the latest episode of "When I Was 17," which also features stories from Taye Diggs and Carmelo Anthony. Rivera, who was 17 in 2004, had a major Hilton obsession when she was a teen.

"Everything that Paris did, Naya was all about it," her friend Alyson said.

Any good Hilton fan in the mid-aughties had to have an appropriately small pooch to tote around. So Rivera persuaded her father to buy her a socialite-approved pup.

"That's when I bought a little dog like Paris. So I convinced my dad to get me a Maltese," she says. "I called around, like, to a million breeders. Oddly enough, this lady that I found was like, 'Oh, yeah, I just sold Paris Hilton a dog.' And I was like, 'Yahtzee! I want my dog from there.' "

However, it turns out that cute, clutch-sized canines don't come cheap and getting one from the same breeder as Hilton came with a hefty price tag.

"The dog was, like, $1,500, so we had a payment plan for this dog. We literally made monthly payments on the dog," she recalls. "Her name is Cali. I took it everywhere with me."

After a while, though, carrying around an adorable dog, even one that Hilton may have dubbed "hot," got old.

"It was cool for like three months then it crapped in my car," Rivera concedes.

"When I Was 17" — this week featuring Naya Rivera, Camelo Anthony and Taye Diggs — premieres Saturday at 11 a.m. on MTV

Related Videos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653020/20101123/story.jhtml

Jennifer Gareis Jennifer Garner Jennifer Gimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment